Now that the initial introductions are out of the way, you might like to know a little bit more about me. So without giving too much away on the first date (I wouldn’t want to scare you off or anything), here are some introductory thoughts that will give you a sense of who I am and what you will be reading more about in the future:
1. I am a Mom. This is the first and foremost aspect of my life – the axis around which my whole life spins. I have three boys, ages 8, 5 and 1 ½. Being their mother brings me equal measures of joy and stress, pride and self-doubt.
2. I have an amazing husband. We have been married for more than a decade and are more in love now than ever. Corny, I know. Every morning, he brings me coffee in bed. I am so spoiled.
3. Every morning, I can’t get out of bed before consuming a large mug of coffee. I told you, I am spoiled.
4. Susie is not my real name – or least I haven’t answered to that since I was eight years old. I pretentiously prefer my given name of Susan but Susie sounded more welcoming and the URL address I really wanted was taken.
5. Since becoming a parent, I have been a working mom, a stay-at-home mom, and a work-from-home mom. I have experienced the pros and cons of each and know how hard it is either way. I won’t choose sides on who has it harder or better.
6. I have a Masters degree in child development. Contrary to what you might think, this does not make me a more confident or credentialed parent. It also does not increase my pay.
7. Twenty years ago I would have scoffed at the idea of living in the suburbs and driving a mini-van. Of course, twenty years ago I would have liked to join the Peace Corps and do meaningful work, except I was afraid to give up daily showers so, I didn’t. Little did I know that parenthood would be a lot like the Peace Corps in that the natives and I don’t always speak the same language, there is no pay and I often don’t get a daily shower. And it is indeed meaningful work.
8. I have always wanted to be a Martha Stewart type Mom. I love to bake, cook, sew and create things but didn’t have the time before I had kids since I had a demanding job. Now that I am a stay-home parent, I don’t have time since I have demanding kids.
9. If I could change one thing about myself (besides my hair), I’d like to be more patient, especially with my children.
10. When I get an idea to do something, I sorta obsess about it – until I finally do it. Starting a blog is one of those things that I have decided I must do but I almost gave it up completely when I couldn’t get my entry to post this morning.
11. Some of the sister blogs that inspire me are: Toddler Planet, Catherine Newman, Woulda Coulda Shoulda, Flotsam, Serving The Queens, A Little Pregnant – just to name a few.
12. I chose the name “At Home With Me” because I am welcoming you into my home, my life. Secondly, a blog is for the blogger more than for the readership. I will be processing my thoughts and experiences here so that I will feel more at home with myself.