Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Susie on Dieting

Ok, I know that I said that I was not going to get hung up on the weight loss. The Good Mood diet is about feeling better, not losing weight - blah, blah, blah. But if the author hadn't promised I would lose weight in the first week, I might not have even stepped on the scale. So after one week, I did step on the scale. Drum roll, please.... TWO POUNDS.... GAINED. Not lost, people - gained. This reminds of the time I tried Atkins, wooed by the whole "you can lose 14 pounds in the first two weeks so it's worth all the trouble" line. I gained five pounds and swore off dieting for awhile.

Now, that is not to say that I have not had success in the pound-dropping arena. Just before I got pregnant with Jess, I lost ten pounds without even trying. I started eating breakfast and was busy with a two-year old. We were living closer to downtown and walked everywhere. (Then I got pregnant and gained 50 pounds that never did come all the way off.) A few summers later, I tried the Step Diet and lost seven pounds. But that was a full-time job because that diet is based less on what you eat/don't eat and more on how much you exercise. I couldn't keep up the two-plus hour walks every evening so I abandoned the plan. And then I got pregnant with Logan.

So what is to be learned from all of this other than weight loss leads to pregnancy? Diets suck, that's what. So you know what I am going to do right now? I'm going to go put some butter on my toast - that's what will make me feel good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, go for a walk after. Then you can have the butter;)

Madame Queen said...

Ugh, I'm so with you on this right now. I've been doing Weight Watchers and two weeks ago I lost four pounds and then my willpower went right out the window!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I had success with low carb dieting after my last pregnancy. The hard work really starts when you start eating normally again. I gained 5 pounds right off the bat.

Stacy said...

Yeah, the only way I can lose weight is if I work out for at least an hour 6 days a week and eat salads. Or nurse a baby. None of those sound like a good option right now. ;) Blah!

Jaimee said...

Oh, I so know how you feel! I'm trying to lose the baby weight from BOTH of my pregnancies right now...I'm working my butt off and eating like a bird and hardly anything has come off! It is sooo hard!

1blueshi1 said...

I like the French Women Don't Get Fat book...but don't take my weight loss advice, I'm fat! I just like to read the book, the recipes are DEEElicious and I enjoy her writing style.